RE: Tailgunner has a special monitor?

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Mon Aug 11 1997 - 13:26:00 EDT

At 09:54 AM 8/11/97 -0700, you wrote:
>G'day folks,
>
>Yup, I agree with Joe. I do remember plugging a Star Castle set into a
>Tail Gunner cabinet and not getting very far, but it didn't have
>anything to do with the monitorl. When I said I had problems, I'm not
>talking about incompatible sound boards...I'm talking about the LED on
>the motherboard staying on! I'll bet this had to do with the JMI wire
>mod on the Star Castle, but I'll leave it to Paul or Zonn to explain.

It'll lockup unless you add a jumper on the control panel to indicate the
use of an 8 way joystick.

I learned this through some mail on RGVAC that Paul posted. At the time I
didn't know Tailgunner supported a digital Joystick. Thanks Paul!

>The sound board to Tail Gunner had a bunch of extra connectors on it. I
>think it had the 2708 daughter board AND an extra connector for the
>joystick.

I was told by a guy that worked at Cinematronics that the 2708 daughter
board was designed to take advantage of the incredibly cheap supply of
2708's that all the suppliers were dumping from their inventory at the time.

>Quite a crazy set up...didn't Speed Freak use this for the
>pot on the steering wheel?

Speed Freak uses an optical decoder on it steering wheel.

-Zonn