Re: Tailgunner has a special monitor?

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Mon Aug 11 1997 - 13:18:00 EDT

At 06:38 PM 8/9/97 -0700, you wrote:

>I was just trying to figure out where the XDAC output signal for the
>comparitors used for the joystick A/D is generated, and I don't see
>pin 16 of the monitor connector hooked up to anything on any of the
>monitor schematics that I have (I don't have a Tailgunner manual..)
>Could someone take a look and tell me how it is interfaced (I assume
>it's somewhere between the DAC output and the analog switches, but
>is there a buffer or anything used to isolate the off-card signal
>from the analog switches?)
>
>I was also curious what kind of Cine monitor Tailgunner uses.

It does use a slightly modified standard Cine monitor. There is an
unpopulated 8 pin DIP socket next to the DAC80 closest to the back of the
monitor that contains the feedback from the X-DAC used to determine the
joystick position.

Basically they routed the monitor's X-DAC back to the sound board. The
DAC's output and the output from the Joystick are routed to a comparator,
then by setting placing values on the X-DAC you can find the values where
the comparator changes state, and from that know its position. I'm assuming
they'd do a binary search, but who knows.

The slight modification is a jumper(s) on the monitor that routes the +/-
15v to some unsed pins on the 8 pin socket.

On the only Tailgunner II I've seen, they had installed an 8 pin socket at
the DIP location. On the standard Tailgunners I've seen they simply solder
wires to the monitor, saving them the incredible price of an 8 pin DIP socket.

-Zonn