Re: deadbeat list

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Tue Aug 19 1997 - 15:01:00 EDT

At 11:07 AM 8/19/97 -0700, you wrote:
>"Next up are getting Ray's Stuff sent (I packed one box already Ray!) and
>finishing the G-80 Multigame ASAP.
>
>..
>
>and now that I have some G-05's I can get the DAC board done. being
>dense, it didn't occur to me until I was driving into work this morning
>that the obvious place for the TailGunner A/D would be on this adapter
>board (need to put it someplace)
>
>I was also wondering what the clipping behaviour is when a vector 1) goes
>offscreen and 2) is completely off screen on Boxing Bugs? Does it leave
>the output to the deflection amp at the point where it clipped (then what
>to you do in the totally off-screen case) or does it move the beam to
>the lowest current position (0,0)?

You set the clipping levels to clip just outside the screen. As a vector is
drawn off the edge of the screen it hits the clip edge and moves no farther.
Moving it to 0,0 at this point would cause a line to be drawn to the 0,0.

As soon as the line is done being drawn it's up to the software to move the
trace to the new location wherever that may be.

The X/Y must be able to withstand a beam being drawn to it's edge or it's
not going to be much of a monitor. The clipped lines in the Cine->WG
convertor allow the program to draw whatever they want on/off screen without
damage to the monitor. Atari on the otherhand do a similar thing with the
Tempest zooms without the clipping -- which drives the deflections circuits
way off the screen. In talking to a few operators I've been told a WG
monitor in a Star Wars machine last *much* longer than the same monitor
running Tempest.

>Seems like leaving it at full X or Y deflection for any length of time
>while drawing off screen would be a BAD THING..

Leaving the deflection anywhere but 0,0 for any length of time is a bad thing.

-Zonn