Re: B/W XY help

From: Joel Rosenzweig <joel-r_at_an.hp.com>
Date: Wed Oct 08 1997 - 15:02:26 EDT

Joe,

Make sure you have a glowing filament. I've had several BW vector
monitor failures that were simply due to cracked solder joints on the
deflection board that connect the AC to the filament.

If the filament is glowing, spot killer not lit, and you hear deflection
sounds, then check to see if you actually have HV since that's more
likely the problem than the Z amp transistor having failed. That is, if
after running the monitor for a moment, you unplug it, and "discharge"
the tube, do you get a spark as if you were really discharging the tube,
or is it quiet (no HV)? Of course, having a probe with a KV meter is
the best way to know for sure, though the noise test is usually
adequate.

The Hv board on this monitor is pretty sparsely populated. It shouldn't
take you too long to test each piece of silicon on there if it comes to
that. These HV transformers on the BW monitors are fairly robust, so
I'd not guess that's the problem, yet.

Good luck,
Joel-