Re: More Amplifone stuff...

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Wed Nov 05 1997 - 19:13:10 EST

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997 16:19:12 -0700, jeffh@diac.com (Jeff Hendrix) wrote:

>That was me, I havn't had a chance to try it yet. My cockpit star wars,
>with a 19" ampliphone, is behind a cockpit star wars with a wells, which is
>behind a major havoc.
>I did use a multimeter and checked the pins on the 25" vers a 19" and I got
>the exact same readings across identical pins. I put a yoke on it from an
>ampliphone 19" xy monitor, so all I have left to do is hook it up, plug it
>in, close my eyes and flip the switch. I'll try and do it this weekend, if
>you don't hear back from me, I'm probably dead.
>
>-jeff
>
>ps. Not only is the yoke sticker the same, but the entire front panel is
>the same (control panel AND monitor bezel). (I didn't realize this until I
>had an upright sitting next to a cockpit)

I have a copy of the Amplifone manual in my truck and I looked at it at
lunch time.

Unfortunately the yoke assembly for the 25" has a different number than
the yoke assembly for a 19". This doesn't mean they're not the same
thing, just numbered differently. The fact Jeff's two yokes have the
same number is a good sign. It could be they original gave them
separate part numbers, and then because they were really the same part,
used them interchangeably. A stock room nightmare, but done all the
time by assemblers and technicians that are working on a deadline and
don't have time to wait for someone to put the "right sticker" on a
part.

Another good sign is that both CRTs are described as 90 degree CRTs. (I
think that's the maximum deflection to angle, measured at the guns, to
cover the whole screen, but I'm guessing here.) Since the angles are
the same, I'm assuming the yokes could be very similar.

Also there is no reference made to different HV voltages on 19" and 25"
tubes. I thought larger tubes were driven with higher voltages, but
that could be that raster tubes have a larger surface area that must be
scanned at a faster rate so that the refresh rates are the same as the
smaller tubes. Maybe that's not as critical in vector monitors.

If this works, this would be cool. Next would be to cross reference the
part number on the tube to a common raster monitor that uses the same
tube.

I want 25" tubes in all my games! I have a friend who says he had a
friend who put a 25" in a Tempest, and it was like being there! (Being
where? Where was Tempest filmed?)

As a side thought, it seems to me that most current picture tubes are
rated at 110 degrees (for shorter tubes), that could throw a wrench in
the idea of putting a Amplifone yoke on one of the newer 31-33" tubes.
Maybe you can just drive the yoke harder...

-Zonn

 ------ ___ Member of A.A.C.S.:
 |---- | ( ) Association for Artistically
    / / ( () ) Challenged Signatures