Re: Major Havoc

From: mayday19 <mayday19_at_IDT.NET>
Date: Tue Nov 11 1997 - 21:56:59 EST

Jeff Hendrix wrote:

> >A couple of questions :
> >
> >1 . What all does the "quad pokey" daughterboard do? I got a MH boardset
> > yesterday without it.
>
> The Quad pokey board is for the sound effects.

it also controls the game's inputs..

> >2 . Would it be easy to duplicate (haven't downloaded the schematics yet)
>
> I don't think it would be too hard to dupe. if I remember right, there are
> only 4 pokey chips on it and nothing else (I'll double check tonight)

only 4 pokeys.. probably be easier to make one than trying to find a
quad-POKEY. they are only found on I,Robot and Firefox boards.. I'd hook
you up with one cheap as I have about 10 Firefox boardsets, but they are
1500 miles away :(

> >3 . What all does the tempest->mh adapter do (once again, no schematics yet)
>
> The adapter allows a mh bs to plug directly into a tempest. It also
>moves
> the x & y adjustment pots to the adapter (the pots on the main pcb are
> disabled). I think it might also compensate for pincushioning on a wells
> monitor.

it does compensate for the pincushoning the WG monitor gets. MH is
designed to be used with an amplifone, and to use the adapter boards most
of the output circuitry is byassed and send straight into the adapter
board thorough jumpers on unused connectors on the game PCB.

> You can just wire up a new harness and just forget about the adapter and
> everything should work ok (the dedicated hm had no adapter)

you can, but you will get pincusioning, not really all that annoying, I
wired a MH in a tempest cab once when the adapter board I had at the time
broke.. it doesn't look that bad.

if you need manuals, I have about 3 copies left of the complete MH manual
set, including the conversion manauls and the ammendums. $13 ppd. good
quality double-sided copies with a color cover for the main MH manual.
also have a few Quantum copies left too..

Jeff

--
http://idt.net/~mayday19