ESB stuff...

From: Clay Cowgill <clayc_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Tue Nov 11 1997 - 20:43:39 EST

Hi all.

Ran across something "new" yesterday. I had sold a "new style" ESB kit to
someone that couldn't get it to work, so after swapping it out (for another
fully tested kit) to no avail I agreed to take a look at it if he sent it
to me.

I got the boardset and somewhat to my suprise I found that it's a DIFFERENT
CPU board than the rest I'd seen. This one is a Rev "A" board (in the 20
or 30 Star Wars boards I've worked on I've never seen a Rev "A" before).
The only obvious difference is that the motherboard has been hand modified
to allow the 27128 (1F or 1M, don't recall)-- pin 26 has been isolated from
the +5 rail and a long blue jumper-wire was added to pick up the address
line from somewhere.

I only mention this because all attempts by me to get the ESB kit installed
in this thing have failed. Something weird is going on and I can't quite
see it yet. Just bizarre. The game starts just fine, but then resets at
the beginning of the game play with ESB.

The other "odd" bit is that the PCB has the serial number sticker which
suggests something in the middle of the production run-- UR005xxx. Go
figure.

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com