Re: ROM adapter

From: Al Kossow <aek>
Date: Wed Nov 26 1997 - 11:48:16 EST

"cool, I will want one of these (actually for a a friend who burns all my
ROMs, and he wants something that will do 2704s and 2708s cause his
EMP-20 wont)"

This won't let you PROGRAM a 3 voltage EPROM, just read them.

The cheapest thing to do is pick up a used Data I/O model 19 or
29 programmer just for the older parts. They have been around
for under $100. If anyone needs one, Haltek Electronics in
Sunnyvale has a 29B with a UniPak 2 for $175.

I also just discovered that neither the 29 or the fancy
UniSites support TMS2716's.. I ended up lifting the pin
on a wirewrap socket and reading them as 2708's and
toggling A10 by hand.

Not related to vector stuff, but i'm discovering that
is really tough to deal with older Atari game ROMs.
Here is an example of the pinout of the program and
sprite ROMs in Drag Race:

GND CS
A0 D
A1 D
A2 D
A3 D
A4 D
A5 D
A9 D
+5 D
A8 CS
A7 CS
A6 CS

..weird

Atari also used 82S115's, which are non-JEDEC latched
bipolar proms.

Here's a weird idea I had last night..
I'm working on a PCI card for my real job, and one
of the things I was going to do is put a flash ROM
programmer on it, using an external box with a ZIF
socket. The interface is just some parallel latches
with the CPU doing all the signal wiggling. As I'm
drawing this up, it occurs to me that CPUs are fast
enough now that you should be able to simulate all
the processor timing of an 8 bit micro in software
and build a "soft ICE" that could plug into the
microprocessor socket and simulate a Z80, 8080,
6502, etc.. I built something sort of like that
when I was trying to figure out how the Battlezone
mathbox worked; I built an interface to the mathbox
board that talked to Eric Smith's vector simulator
which would accept mathbox commands from the
simulator.