Re: Sega sound boards...

From: Ray Ghanbari <ray_at_mayo.edu>
Date: Wed Dec 03 1997 - 18:43:07 EST

You wrote:
> Once again refer to the PIC technote -- a fully functional speech
> synthesizer -- complete with schematic and source code. It might be
> just what you're looking for, as is. They even have PC based "C"
> software for creating the compressed image. All the work is done for
> you!

Forgive me, but this solution lacks the distinctive "retro-coolness" factor of
figuring out how the universal sound board works and hacking that. If you
just want to play the games, use a PC emulator. I get a kick out of using as
much original hardware as possible.

Put another way, Clay's Sega menu system kicks serious ass partially because
he hacked it out the same way the Sega coders did 15 years ago. As the
commercial say "Gotta feel the love..." To code the beast is to know the
beast.

Of course, it's easy to offer advice when you're not the one pouring over the
schematics reverse engineering the beast. I bow to the demigods who shed light
on these historical artifacts and look forward to hacking these things in the
future.

Ray