Re: Signature Analying (DOH!!)

From: Jess Askey <jess_at_magenta.com>
Date: Tue Dec 09 1997 - 22:40:58 EST

Kev wrote:

> I'm sorta confused about the WEB/Atari/SA thing
>
> -are you scaning all the schematics with SA nodes
>
> -or just documenting SA points?

What I was thinking of doing is to list the IC's by PCB reference. Sorta
like this..

Centipede:

IC A1 (74LS245)

Pin Signature
1 38E3
2 6721
3 1234
etc..

20 4567

IC A2 (74LS374)

Pin Signature
1 1234
2 6789
etc.. etc.. etc..

I have to work on it a bit and figure out the best way though since some
IC require setting the CLOCK, START and STOP to different locations.

I want the manual to be very compact. My process of fixing a board would
be like this..

See if it boots (resets).
Check to see if the problem is fatal(watchdog barking)
        I have had a lot of boards like this that report a bad RAM via the test
tones. But you can replace allthe RAM you want because the actual
problem is one of the DATA buffers. The SA will solve this past problem
of mine.
See if the game will runs self test (verifies ROM and RAM).
Localize the problem to 2-6 IC's
Test those IC's with the SA.

> The layout used in Battlezone for SA is the method I prefer as it is much easier to do a
> board by looking at chips & locations than trying to pull them from schematics.

Yes you are right about that, the schems can be fussy with all those
double sided pages. I will use multi columns so that everthing is
compact, the binding will allow the manual to lay flat without 'wanting'
to close
and the pages will be laminated cardstock for durability.

> > Too bad I have to sleep everynight... else I could get tons of stuff
> > done (and probably have a heart attack).
>
> Yeah, don't forget X-mas, eating, family, spouses, pets, day jobs....

Im working on a way to completely eliminate eating! ;-)
jess

--
Jess M. Askey            ************* My Page ***************
ESLB/The Audio Analyst   *    http://magenta.com/havoc       *