RE: Sega Multigame and Vector Generator Card...

From: Ozdemir, Steve <sso_at_dsc.com>
Date: Wed Dec 17 1997 - 16:57:43 EST

G'day folks,

Hmmm....well, I would imagine that if you put the fading under hardware
control via the speed of the electron beam then you'd want to be able to
both linear fading and something like "exponential" fading (where as
your line is drawn your intensity drops exponentially). These two
features would be sufficient for most purposes.

I was under the impression that the speed of the electron beam was
deciding the intensity of a vector (or part of a vector as the case may
be). So because there is a maximum speed to the beam, there's also a
minimum intensity that all vectors would have? Obviously if the Z was
zeroed then you'd have black, but if we are using the speed of the beam
to control intensity then Z isn't as relevant.

I did follow how Zonn described fading with alot of little vectors of
different intensity, but now you are increasing your vector counts. I'm
sure the cost of stopping drawing the current vector and starting to
draw the next vector is high enough that variable intensity within a
vector is a significant savings (and less of a headache for the software
guy...until you tell him he has to specify how to fade vectors).

                Steven S Ozdemir
                sso@dsc.com