Re: serial DACs

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed Dec 17 1997 - 17:30:17 EST

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, Al Kossow wrote:

> "I wasn't able to find any serial DACs (I didn't do all that
> > thorough of a search) that worked at this speed, you might have to stick with
> > parallel loaded DACs."
>
> Joe will probably pop in here, being from Crystal and all..
>
> We use Crystal's 16 bit serially interfaced parts for the audio I/O on
> Macs, and those are running up to 48Khz/channel. Guess I'll have to
> double-check on the maximum clock speed of the Maxim multi-channel
> DAC i'm designing into the programmable power supplies on the board
> i'm doing :-)

        I WAS going to chime in that basically every DAC we make uses a
serial input port. The audio stuff used a 48 kHz "LRCK" (Left/Right
Clock) which is basically a sample clock. SCLK (Serial Port Clock)
frequencies are usually programmable to be 32, 48, 64, or 128 times that
clock frequency and the ports can operate in master mode or slave mode.

        If anyone cares, I was actually the designer for the latest
generation of those serial ports.

        We just released a 96kHz part, so that Serial port uses a 96kHz
LRCK. SCLK frequencies are exactly the same, though...

        Whoops the system is about to go down her so I'd bett wrap
this upe....let me know if any of these parts may be useful, becuase I
could probably get samples no problem.

Joe