Re: Atari AVG Controller

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed Jan 07 1998 - 18:06:19 EST

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Jess Askey wrote:

> Like I need another project... not. But I need some guidance at least
> from all you PAL/PIC/GAL people. Since this IC has ram in it, is that
> the part that is throwing the wrench into putting this onto a basic PAL?
> What programable IC's would this circuit fit onto? It is such a simple
> circuit, can it be that hard? I would be interested in getting at least
> 20-25 of them if I could be done somehow.
> Any ideas?
> jess

        Yeah, PAL's can't really do RAM. The only "standard cell" way to
do a RAM is with a flip-flop/latch, and most PLDs have very limited
numbers of those (i.e. not in the 1000s of flip-flops/latches that are
needed for a simple 2k x 8 6116 RAM, for example)

        How much RAM is there?....maybe a larger FPGA might work?

Joe