Re: Bulletproof your WG6100!

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Wed Jan 14 1998 - 20:01:14 EST

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998 00:28:41 GMT, jeffh@diac.com (Jeff Hendrix) wrote:

>Well Anders and I were a little worried about the cash layout to get these
>things made and if we would get stuck with piles of boards. Now we are
>beginning to wonder if we need to increase our order.
>
>These things are way cool, I had a monitor in my black widow that was
>giving me all kinds of trouble. I couldn't get the picture small enough to
>fit on the screen (I adjusted the size pots to min.), and the screen also
>had the shakes.
>Anders assembled the first one on a breadboard and I hooked it into my
>monitor, wedged a corner of the breadboard under the deflection pcb, and
>fired it up... and it worked.
>The screen was small (because I had the sizes turn all the way down) and
>was stable as a rock. He wipped out a few boards and I installed them in
>troubled monitors and they have worked flawlessly ever since.
>I had the opportunity to place 4 of my star wars machines in movie theatres
>last year and in the first 2 weeks, all the amplifone monitors went dead
>(which is to be expected), so I replaced them all with wells gardner
>monitors and slowly they started to die. Then I started replacing the low
>voltage section of deflection boards with LV2000s and they have been
>running solid ever since. (I still have 2 machines on location and they
>leave them running at night) So I have 2 that have been on for about a
>year, without rest, and they are humming along.

Let me throw in that while I haven't used Anders exact circuit, I have been
using a circuit of my own that does the same thing. So far it gives the best
"vector stability" of any of my experiments.

Anders circuit is easier to install, and the performance should be close (if not
exactly) identical in it's regulation.

If Anders is going to build up PCBs, I'm going to use his. I'm tired of hand
wiring these things up! (In fact I'm putting off fixing some WGs until I get
these from Anders, my work just got a lot easier!)

When you're close to getting these built, make sure you post to RGVAC, I know at
least Gaymond (I'm sure) is going to want a few of these...

-Zonn

 ------ ___ Member of A.A.C.S.:
 |---- | ( ) Association for Artistically
    / / ( () ) Challenged Signatures