Bulletproof your WG6100!

From: Jeff Hendrix <jeffh_at_diac.com>
Date: Wed Jan 14 1998 - 19:28:41 EST

Well Anders and I were a little worried about the cash layout to get these
things made and if we would get stuck with piles of boards. Now we are
beginning to wonder if we need to increase our order.

These things are way cool, I had a monitor in my black widow that was
giving me all kinds of trouble. I couldn't get the picture small enough to
fit on the screen (I adjusted the size pots to min.), and the screen also
had the shakes.
Anders assembled the first one on a breadboard and I hooked it into my
monitor, wedged a corner of the breadboard under the deflection pcb, and
fired it up... and it worked.
The screen was small (because I had the sizes turn all the way down) and
was stable as a rock. He wipped out a few boards and I installed them in
troubled monitors and they have worked flawlessly ever since.
I had the opportunity to place 4 of my star wars machines in movie theatres
last year and in the first 2 weeks, all the amplifone monitors went dead
(which is to be expected), so I replaced them all with wells gardner
monitors and slowly they started to die. Then I started replacing the low
voltage section of deflection boards with LV2000s and they have been
running solid ever since. (I still have 2 machines on location and they
leave them running at night) So I have 2 that have been on for about a
year, without rest, and they are humming along.

If anyone wants to see what these things look like, there is a picture of
one of the prototypes at

www.spies.com/arcade/schematics/
scroll down to the "Tempest LV regulator" section.

the production boards look very similar, the placement of a few of the
parts have been moved.
The schematics are also up there if anybody is curious on how these things work.

I should have the instruction manual for these done in a few days, I'll
post a .pdf file of it we it gets closer.
(It will be a few weeks to get assembly photos in it, because we need the
boards to finish it)

-jeff

jeffh@diac.com

Buy/Sell/Trade classic video arcade games.
www.diac.com/~jeffh/