TVS suppression on deflection transistors...

From: Clay Cowgill <clayc_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Tue Jan 20 1998 - 18:22:24 EST

Our San Jose office seems to have pulled their heads out finally so maybe
my e-mail is working again... :-)

Anyway. I took some quick measurements on the deflection transistors of my
Empire Strikes Back game with the game running in attract mode. Looks like
there's about 24-29V across them depending on what's going on at any given
point of the display. (The ESB board was adjusted to generate an image
that pretty much filled the CRT. Probably a bit larger than
"recommended".)

Given that info, I'd say maybe I should try some 33V TVS' and see there's
any side-effects. They have a minimum trigger of around 31.4V and a max
around 34.7. The 30V guys would probably clamp too low (around 28.5V) for
"normal" operation of the monitor.

Guess I need to come up with some other stuff to buy from DigiKey... ;-)

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com
\/ Communications Division http://www.supra.com/