Re: 19K6400

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Thu Jan 22 1998 - 19:07:04 EST

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998 18:47:56, fishd <fishd@tiac.net> wrote:

>At 11:50 AM 1/22/98 -0700, Anders wrote:
>>Hello Clay, and all interested. I will be getting the WG6400 service
>>manual together over the weekend. I am just going to type in the text
>>stuff that is relevant, and scan in the schematics.
>>Who was it that acutally has one of these monitors?
>
>I have one inside Aztarac. Paul F. had another one available but I
>didn't jump on it at the time (stupid, stupid, stupid).
>
>>I would love to get some photographs of it. Then I can put together a good
>>html version of the manual.
>
>The pictures in the copy of the manual I have are so bad that they
>looked like black squares, your copy is worse. I'll see about getting
>some pictures of the monitor itself but I'll have to borrow a macro
>lens from my brother, might take a while.
>
>I still want to try modifying a 6100 into a 6400, the component differences
>are listed in my 6400 write-up, I just don't have a spare 6100 to
>experiment on.

If you want a reliable monitor for running WG compatible games, your best bet
will be simply to beef up the weak link in the monitor which is the low voltage
regulator (get a kit from Anders).

If your looking for a Sega X/Y replacement monitor, then you'll have to do the
works. You'll also need the transformer used in the Sega game system to run the
thing. (+/- 50v). At this point a voltage regulator will still be needed. It
might be possible to use the Anders design to regulate the higher voltages,
since the regulators are floating. If the output of the regulator I.C. were
ever shorted to ground, bad things would happen.

Anders: Didn't you say that one side of the supply dies faster than the other?
Shouldn't there be bypass diodes across the regulator to protect against any
kind of backward current flow? (I believe John R. asked the same question, but
I never saw an answer)

Doubling up the output transistors (without all the other changes) would allow
the monitor to run a bit cooler, but I wonder if it's really overheating that
kills the monitor. Somebody really should experiment with transient
suppressors...

The Sega monitor is the one that should have it's output transistors doubled up!

-Zonn

 ------ ___ Member of A.A.C.S.:
 |---- | ( ) Association for Artistically
    / / ( () ) Challenged Signatures