Re: Major Havoc translator board

From: Jeff Hendrix <jeffh_at_diac.com>
Date: Mon Jan 26 1998 - 17:12:20 EST

On a major havoc/tempest conversion, the small connector needs to be
rotated. I was having a trying to get my spare major havoc board to work in
my tempest, but was only getting a blank screen, although tempest worked
fine and the MH board worked in my Major Havoc machine. I then got my hands
on a conversion manual and it said that the 30 pin connector needs to be
rotated 180o to work, but it WOULD NOT cause any damage if it was plugged
in the wrong way (you just get a blank screen and some other weird things).
(That one had me scratching my head for sometime, until I got the docs)

Your math is right, when I saw Gregg's email I called Anders and asked him
if he had increase the price by $.20, and I hadn't received the post yet.
We will either send him back $4 or include an extra PCB in his order.

-jeff

>G'day folks,
>
>I have a small board with "MH/Tempest" on it that looks like it goes on
>the end of a Atari cage. It has alot of pots and chips. As I remember
>this is the "translator board" that allows you to plug Major Havoc into
>a Tempest?
>
>Unfortunately, I don't have a Tempest. I have a Space Duel. I do
>remember someone saying that a MH to SD translator board existed. Can
>anyone confirm this? If so, would anyone be interested in a straight
>swap??
>
>I'm in the process of putting Tempest, Major Havoc and Quantum into my
>Space Duel cabinet that has the control panel wiring modified to play
>Gravitar and Black Widow. I'll have all the Atari XYs (except Star Wars
>and ESB which I didn't care for) in one cabinet with adapters and
>control panels for each! Since I have a two other spare end boards to
>Atari cages, I'll be carving them up to translate signals for the
>Quantum and Tempest.
>
>I'm using a Star Wars end board, and it fits Tempest perfectly! Can
>anyone confirm my memory that the smaller connector for a Tempest wiring
>harness has to be rotated before you plug it into the Major Havoc board?
> If the MH/Tempest translator board doesn't do this then I'll have
>"extend" the small connector off of the Star Wars end board so it can
>rotate.
>
>Thanks for any and all help!
>
> Steven S Ozdemir
> sso@dsc.com
>
>ps - On another topic, Gregg accidentally sent email to the whole list
>saying that he was paying $267 for 20 kits. I thought it would be $260
>for the kits and $3 for shipping for $263? I know a $4 difference on a
>$250+ deal isn't a big deal, but I want to make sure I didn't screw up
>my math for my 10 kits at $133.

jeffh@diac.com

Buy/Sell/Trade classic video arcade games.
www.diac.com/~jeffh/