Re: Wells Gardiner vs Ampliphone

From: Jeff Anderson <mayday19_at_IDT.NET>
Date: Tue Feb 17 1998 - 23:33:37 EST

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Mit Matelske wrote:

> Yipee!! Now, anyone know a modern replacement 25" tube for the old Amplifone?
> Come on.... My SW cockpit is begging for that big baby!!!

That would be nice.. the tube in my ESB is so beat it wont converge right.
it is off like 1/4" in the corners at best...
It even still has a red flyback and runs great for 9 hours every day! I
guess the amplifones just cant handle the death star explosion...

Good to hear there will be cheap replacements too! Put all the amplifones
back to good use!

and If I had the choice, I would use all amplifones too.. they seem to be
more reliable and use a better tube. I have had
several that have never had a prob other than the flybacks.. Of coure I
dont mind the WGs eitheer for reliability. I have 10 color vector games
with WGs in 'em that get operated every day, and they hardly never skip a
beat...

I think I am the only one in the vectorlist not buying in to the LV2000
but the WGs (or the amplifones for that matter) are just so easy
to fix if you've done it a few times...

I have had only 2 LV failures in the past year, and it takes
10 min to swap out the parts that cost $3.
I just buy the cap kits, cap the HV cages, and only replace other stuff
when it is bad...
Great idea for those that dont know much about the monitor though..and it
is surely more reliable than a regular WG...

Jeff