RE: On Topic:: ) Help w/encoder

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Thu Feb 26 1998 - 18:56:35 EST

> O.k. I got the Go8 back up and running, everything wired into
> place, the
> multi game runs, coin switches wired in....... I need some help with
> getting
> a Tempest encoder to work with the spinner games in the G80 multi
> game.
>
> I talked to one friend and he suggested that perhaps the signal
> gain of the
> Atari encoder was not high enough. He thought that lowering the
> value of the
> resistors on the main board, to the CLK and DIR lines should solve the
> problem.
>
> The game works perfectly with a Sega spinner but the Tempest will
> only spin
> jerkily in one direction. Yes I did notice that the DIR and CLK lines
> are
> reversed for the different manufacturers.

If you don't have this working before the weekend let me know and I'll
pull a Tempest spinner from my cabinet and tinker with it some. The
2.2K resistors on the replacement spinner board might be too much. (Is
that what you mean by "main board"?)

IF the Tempest spinner is actually outputting CLK and DIR though, you'll
need to take a couple taps off directly from the quadrature outputs.
The Sega Board is expecting quadrature inputs, not CLK and DIR.

-Clay