Re: EPROM Burner doit it yourself

From: Al Kossow <aek>
Date: Thu Mar 26 1998 - 10:45:31 EST

I posted someone selling a assembled parallel port unit
for $169 on RGVAC a few weeks ago that does do 5v 24 pin
parts. I picked one up, and the guy sent me programming
information, so I was going to try driving it from one
of those Dolphin PCI parallel port cards in a Mac. I
also built a parallel port programmer (this one assumes
you have a 8 bit bi directional p port) using a single
84 pin Mach part (this is the same hardware i'm using
for the 6502 'soft processor' i'm working on)

Inexpensive units like these, though, will only program
+5v only EPROMS (2716 > up), no bipolars, etc. The
cheap ones also only have 32 pin sockets, so you can't
do wide or really big parts.

I'm starting to build up a big pile of (broken :-()
Data I/O 29 series units from the surplus places.
They claim to support 82s155's (like in Drag Race..)
but I haven't found the right programming adapter yet