Re: Warrior sound & other stuff

From: Jeff Anderson <mayday19_at_IDT.NET>
Date: Fri Mar 27 1998 - 06:23:58 EST

> I've been having LOTS of trouble with my star castle, and some of what happened to you happened
> to me (especially the white splotch prob). Here's what I found (I'm DEFINITELY no expert,
> though)!
>
> >maybe the wrong value was installed? otherwise what can I do, just stick a
> >resistor inline with the pot?
> hmmm... it seems too obvious, but maybe a bad/dirty pot? I assume you've checked to see that it
> is functioning properly; have you checked the pot value against the info on spies?

yeah, I thought it was too obvious too :> but it checks out.. Zonn gave
good advice.. I would check spies, but I am far away from home using a
really old 486 that aint mine, and it cant read PDFs :<

> No clue... sorry! BTW, where is the norm/var jumper anyway?? People keep talking about it but
> I can't find it on my board...

it is between the display connector and the control panel & audio
board connectors at the top middle of the board. it is just a little metal
leg, and 'norm' and 'var' are screened right onto the board.. earlier rev
board dont have it BTW...

> >somewhat 'cause I hear the static, but maybe the Tripler is bad? all the
> >diodes check out. Can I test the tripeler with a meter?
> If you download the very first service note on Cinematronics stuff from Spies, it addresses this
> exact problem (CB blowing), which I also had. The service doc suggests checking the power
> transitors and a few others, but this didn't solve my problem.

 I wish I could DL them :>

> On mine, it ended up not being the transistors; I had chatter till the fuse blew, but saw
> nothing but a huge white splotch. It ended up being the LF13331N IC... I replaced that and the
> circuit stopped blowing, and the white blotch went away.

I'm gonna try that..

> Just my experience, but you might check it out! I have a spare LF13331n if you need it, you
> might temporarily rob one off of your other games to check.

I think I have one around.. Thanks!

thanks for your help too Zonn...but next time I wont say the names of the
games...

Jeff