Re: Battlezone

From: Joel Rosenzweig <joel-r_at_an.hp.com>
Date: Tue Apr 07 1998 - 14:38:14 EDT

Jeff Hendrix wrote:

> Describe the gameplay in your vector version of Return of the Jedi (if it
> was any different), maybe it will give us a heads up on development.
>
> -jeff
>
> ps. maybe it was meant to be and the vector gods have given you inspiration.

In my version of Return of the Jedi, all the action was first person, as
in Star Wars and ESB. I guess I don't go for all that 3rd person stuff
in Jedi.

I remember seeing the Millenium Falcon in front of me, then the game
zoomed in to where I sat in the cockpit. Then I was surrounded by all
the cockpit controls, and we blasted off into hyperspace. Then, a space
battle scene followed, where I got to fly the ship around, instead of
flying along a pre-set course. After blasting my way through a bunch of
TIE's, I viewed the entire sequence of getting closer to the Death Star,
all the way until I flew into it. (Rather than in Star Wars, where you
get close, and then all of a sudden, you're on the surface, or in the
trench.) The view inside the Death Star was cool, and a lot like the
trench scene in Star Wars, except the trench took twists and turns, both
up and down, and left and right, so you had to follow the right path, or
smack into a dead end. The visuals of the Death Star warping around me
as I turned while flying through the tunnels was cool. That's about all
I remember from the dream itself.

However, in the same manner, it would be neat to have a first person
speeder scene. I could do without the scene with Chewie and the walker,
though I could imagine something cool, first person for that, too.

Anyway, I guess the most interesting part was seeing the crisp, glowing
blue, red, yellow and purple vectors in the Millenium Falcon tunnel
flying scene.

Well, if one of us figures out the code in Star Wars/ESB, I'd definately
be interested in coding a new version of the game like the one in my
dream. I'm thinking that if we could re-use certain subroutines and
data, that would make for an easier time programming.

However, perhaps Clay's vector project is a more realistic vehicle for
doing a game such as this one? There is alure for me to program it on
the real hardware, but it would definately be an easier task to write it
for a platform with full documentation, like Clay's invention.

Anyone interested in adding some cool ideas to a vector based RotJ? I
never said I was good at content, I just know what I like. :-)

I figure I'll let this idea brew for a while before I think about doing
anything serious..

Joel-