RE: Star Trek G-08 Tips

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Thu May 21 1998 - 16:26:42 EDT

> I am getting a working Star Trek Cockpit tomorrow, anyone have any
> tips on
> how to attempt, if possible, to prolong the life of the monitor? I
> ALREADY have a fire extinguisher, thanks!

Try to find an older Halon (sp?) fire extinguisher. Much preferred for
electrical fires. ;-) I dunno if the new eco-safe stuff works as well
or not...

> Some mod that could "bulletproof" this sucker, or some alternate
> monitor
> suggestions, would be seriously cool.
>
> I presume a fan added to blow over the monitor boards would be a good
> thing????
> What about power supply? (I presume it's linear...)
> Boards are in a card cage if I remember......

You might want to replace the fans (usually there are three?) if for no
other reason than they're 120V AC fans and noisy as hell.

I'd definately switch the power supply for the boards over to a
PC-switching supply too. As I recall it's "bad" for the monitor if you
lose one of the supply rails on the card-cage. Max-deflection type
signal output or something...

> Anything neat I can do like run TAC-SCAN easily on this??? (Since
> Tac-Scan,
> as I remember, uses 2 buttons and a similar spinner to Star Trek)

My Sega Multigame will run all the Sega Vector games in that cabinet.
Tac/Scan will be "sideways" though unless you want to hook-up a a couple
switches/relays to invert the signal outputs...

-Clay