RE: Redesign of boards...

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Thu Jun 04 1998 - 17:07:14 EDT

> I guess you could do a 'generic' AVG board for all the games other
> than Asteroids(dlx) and Lunar Lander, and a DVG board for those
> (and Omega Race). There are enough differences in the design to
> make it tricky to do, though. Again, you can see all the memory
> maps and things in the MAME sources.

So... I bought yet another CPLD development package a few days ago.
This time the Vantis (AMD) stuff. It's Synario based (which makes for a
kinda interesting fist-fight between it an the Lattice Synario package),
but the Vantis parts are about half the cost of equivalent Lattice
stuff... A 64 Macrocell CPLD from Vantis is only about $3.69 in singles
with 32 I/O's 15ns tpd, etc.

I think the Asteroids Deluxe vector state machine, BRM's and misc glue
would fit in one part without too much trouble. I/Os get to be the
constraint since you'll need external RAM and ROM and 12bit wide
datapath to the DACs...

On a semi-related note-- a while back someone was working on getting
Lunar Lander code to run on Asteroids. Anyone ever hear anything more
about it? (I'm thinking of trying it given the info that's in MAME-- and
since Neil Bradley still has my Blasteroids board, he owes me some help.
;-)

-Clay

(I'm also thinking of doing a software menu system based multigame
Pacman. Two bit score's $240 for dip-switches and EPROMs kinda irks
me...)