RE: Using a logic analyzer on vector boards

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu Jul 02 1998 - 11:58:54 EDT

On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, David Shoemaker (Comforce/RhoTech) wrote:

> So now back to my original message:
>
> > I just picked up a HP 1630D logic analyzer (32 channel 400mhz). It cost
> > me somewhere around an arm and a leg :) And now I am wondering if anyone
> > here has used a logic analyzer on vector boards. I am thinking Atari
> > boards in particular (BZ, Gravitar, Quantum).
> >
> > If anyone has used one (on vector or not) I could probably use some hints.
> >
> > All this because I still can't find a cat box. If anyone has one for sale
> > in the single leg price range (only have one left) I am really interested.

        Here is my question to the list: Why exactly does anybody
need a Cat Box? I was talking to Joel in email a few days ago, and
I found out that you can do signature analysis on the Mathboxes
without a Cat Box (just jumper some conductors on the test connector)
with an ordinary 5004.

        I've been fiddling with putting CPUs into "NOP mode" these
past few days, and I see no reason why you couldn't do that to
troubleshoot the CPU, and then use signature analysis to troubleshoot
the mathbox (without a CAT box)

        I've seen references to using signature analysis to troubleshoot
CPU boards in nop mode, with Space Invaders, and with Atari boards,
(of course there's Cinematronics boards, too, but they're a little
different since the CPU isn't in NOP mode) and I've been fooling
around with Gottlieb boards and signature analysis.

        Which brings me back to my original question. Why does anybody
need a CAT box anyway?

Joe