Perplexing Asteroids Board Question

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Mon Jul 06 1998 - 21:47:07 EDT

I've just been gifted with a working Asteroids board. Nice backup for my
Cocktail table. However, it does rekindle a question I couldn't answer when
I was fixing mine.

What the *!@#!@#!! does the 4 position dip switch at M13 do ???

(Asteroids has a 8 pos dip that is documented, handles language/coinage
options. And this 4 post I don't see documented anywhere)

In testing it, I discovered that the new board's sounds were different too.
Thrust was much lower, barely noticable comparatively. beep-bop lower in
volume too. On investigation I noticed my old board was missing 2 caps: C67
and C64.

I think it sounds better with those missing, should anyone feel like playing
with their boards. Somewhat depressing though, that Asteroids was my
favorite game growing up, and I never noticed the difference.

http://www.westnet.com/