Re: Amplifone +/- 24v regulation

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue Jul 07 1998 - 14:53:21 EDT

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Joel Rosenzweig wrote:

> Has anyone considered using large capacitors to hold the +/- 24V output
> from the voltage regulators, specifically to help keep the screen from
> expanding/shrinking during the Death Star explosion?
>
> Would it be better to just add a beefier regulator?
>
> I was just thinking that we could do just what the car stereo fanatics
> do when they want to keep their amps running well under heavy demand.
> Seems to me that we could do something similar for the HV section here.

        It would probably be pretty simple. All that would be needed
would be to add some pass transistors to the outputs of the regulators.

        Probably a drop-in replacement cound be done that was just
as nice as the LV2000. Have it drop in to the spots where the
+-24V regulators are now and it would just be an LM317/LM337 and
2 pass-transistors, plus all the related adjustment and protection
stuff. The pass-transistors could probably even be T0-220 package
types, since I don't think the 78/7924s put out that much current at
all.

Joe