Re: Asteroids CPU repair problems

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue Jul 07 1998 - 14:45:44 EDT

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, David Humphrey wrote:

> Does anyone have ANY input on what might commonly (or uncommonly)
> go wrong with an Asteroids CPU? I'm still trying to fix this one, and it's
> a pain. I suppose if I had a Cat Box, I could get somewhere.

        What's wrong with it?

        Does it beep at you in self-test mode?

        I've found the self-test to be pretty helpful on those boards.

        If it doesn't, check/disable the watchdog reset circuit and see
if things get better. The ROMS, especially if they're masked ROMS,
tend to go bad on the old Atari B/W XY stuff.

> Say, there's a thought. Did the Cat Box project ever get off the ground?

        No. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If someone
will build the switch PCB, I'll do the logic PCB. So far there've
been no volunteers. The switch PCB is NASTY, and I'm not going to get
stuck doing it too. People were talking about building a PC interface,
which I think is the way to go (unfortunately, I know nothing about using
the Serial/Parallel ports of a PC, or about writing software for PCs)

Joe