Re: Star wars monitor removal

From: Jeff Hendrix <jeffh_at_diac.com>
Date: Thu Jul 09 1998 - 22:00:19 EDT

It's pretty easy.
Just unbolt the tube and lift it out, sometimes it helps to have
somebody lift the monitor from behind so you can get a grip on it in
front, but I've removed some by myself.

A WG monitor 'almost' fits in there. The problem is with the bottom
mounting rails. (I think space duel is the only color xy game that
mounts that way, where it sits on a shelf, kind of like asteroids).
Anyway, there is no cut away in a star wars for this lip to slide into.
(We you try to put the WG in you will see exactly what I mean). I just
take a hand saw and saw away about a 1/2 inch section of wood on both
sides. You might have to extend the cuts up a little from where they
need to be because then you try to put the WG in, it wants to hit the
top part of the cabinet (just under the marquee). If the cuts are
higher, you can come in at a steeper angle without any problem.
I hope I explained this alright. You will see exactly what I mean when
you try to do it.
I've done this with 5 machines and it only takes about 10 minutes.

Also, you might need a monitor extension cord (like what gravitar had)
because sometimes the star wars plug will not quite reach the monitor.
I've been able to find deflection boards with a little bit longer cables
and put them in my star wars machines. If you really got desperate, you
could move the star wars pcb cage a little higher so the cord will
reach.

-jeff

>OK so I have a SW with a dead high voltage transformer. So I am going to
>put in a WG. Whats the trick to removing the ampliphone tube? Do you have
>to unbolt the tube from the mounting wings or remove part of the monitor
>bezel support wood or what?
>
>And then once its out does the WG fit in there easily?
>
>David

jeffh@diac.com

Buy/Sell/Trade Classic Video Arcade Games
www.diac.com/~jeffh/