Re: Amazing...

From: Robert Wood <rwood54741_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue Jul 21 1998 - 21:43:03 EDT

Chris Cope wrote:

> Does E-Bay have any penalties it can impose if someone does this? At
> a real auction, they have you credit card # before you start, so you
> can't really default. How does E-Bay do it? That's terrible if they
> allow assholes to drive away serious bidders.Chris

> In about 15-20% of my auctions the bidder fails

to follow through. The bidder flake-out rate on arcadegames, pinballs, etc.
is higher (approaching 50%). The only
remedy a seller has is to post a negative "feedback" entry
into the bidder's feedback profile. However, of course, that
does nothing to salvage the sale.
You can then try to sell to the 2nd highest bidder but my
experience is that most of the time they refuse. The nature
of auction bidders is in a word IMPULSIVE and when given
the time and opportunity to renig they will usually do so.

Bob Wood