RE: Star Trek/G-80 stuff

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Tue Aug 04 1998 - 16:14:10 EDT

> Eliminator 4-player has very specific credit/timing circuitry, where
> the switch
> needs to be trigged for *exactly* the time it takes for a coin to drop
> through
> the coin validator. This is a large pain in the ass, as people who
> don't
> understand this just start beating on the credit switches, causing the
> game to
> temporarily pause, and not credit the game up.

I remember that from when I was doing the multigame code-- my test setup
was a bunch of bare boards on the workbench, and I was tagging inputs
with a jumper-wire. Hard to get credits sometimes. ;-)

Wasn't the coin circuitry tied to INT on the Z-80? That should be
really easy code to find.

> What I'd like to see is maybe changing the code for Tac/Scan,
> Eliminator
> 2-player, Star Trek, Space Fury to have a FREE PLAY mode (maybe have
> the
> software look at the dip switches).

Hmmmm. Probably not *too* tough. I should have done it when I was
still doing the Sega Multigame, but after patching everything for the
control panels I was a little sick of it. ;-)

> In addition, if someone could hack the Eliminator 4-player code to get
> rid of
> the nasty timed coining crediting, that would be VERY MUCH appreciated
> (alright, so maybe I'm in the minority there...)

I'll look at my listings and see if it looks easy to patch or not. Sega
took great delight in making all sorts of screwy jumps and crap through
(HL) to make my life hell. (Yes, I'm sure they did it specifically to
annoy *me*... ;-)

-Clay