CRT gun driver levels?

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Thu Aug 20 1998 - 17:28:50 EDT

After promising myself I was NOT going to look at the
Cinematronics->Wells Gardner monitor adapter I somehow managed to start
tinkering with it at lunch today...

Anyway, I was plinking around with one of the schematics from Al's scans
with Electronics Workbench and noticed what I consider "odd" behavior in
the Z-output section.

Do any of you have a feel for CRT electron gun drive levels and what's
reasonable? I seem to recall 4V being about peak into a vector monitor
and black level being maybe 1.8-2V?

How many intensity levels did the Cinematronics vector stuff use? The
circuit I'm playing with seems to output 0V, 2.27V, 3.99V, and 4.07V.
That's telling me it's really just two intensities and "off". Is .08V
enough to even see a difference on a BW vector display? (I wouldn't
think so, plus the difference is probably smaller than is caused by part
tolerances anyway...)

Curious to hear anyone's experiences w/ this stuff.

-Clay

BTW, I'm out of the new SW/ESB boards at the moment, so I'm getting a
few more PCB's run. Anybody have a good source for X2212's (novram)?