RE: CRT gun driver levels?

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Fri Aug 21 1998 - 19:40:07 EDT

> Sure, that would work great! But if it's easier to run it to a
> blanking
> transistor (or the chip enable lines as you pointed out) that brought
> the output
> to zero, you would only use half as much PROM space (since half the
> PROM would
> just contain zeros). That's all I meant.

Ahh, gotcha. Just got confused for a minute. For some reason I was
thinking I had three (color) outputs and the PROM would be an easy way
to avoid having a blanking trans for each. For just one it's probably
easiest to do what you said. ;-) I think I need to go home...

> Yeah, I got this off comp.compression when someone asked how to save
> color
> images as gray scales. Hmm... (I thought) that looks like something
> that could
> be useful some day, so I snagged the formula. (I've seen it since in
> some
> graphic books.)

I think I last saw it in something about those "full spectrum" LED's
with the Red, greed, and two Blue elements in them (so they can make
white and most any other color...) Cool.

How many unique "colors" did Boxing Bugs and (whatever the other color
game was) use? I'd suspect that a 150ns EPROM is probably plenty fast
to be a color lookup table-- maybe just use that? The cheapest x8 PROMs
I use in the MultiPac's are a couple bucks each... The EPROM would
obviously have "room to spare" for whatever we wanted to shove in
there...

-Clay