Re: Cosmic Chasm info/help

From: Jeff Anderson <mayday19_at_idt.net>
Date: Mon Aug 31 1998 - 13:22:31 EDT

> cleaning it up, besides the power supply tray looks like it was severely
> hacked up and modified by someone.

most likely the power supply was modified because the stock PS cannot
handle the monitor's load. My CC had a couple very large transformers
added in to handle the monitor.

one thing you will notice after getting it working is that the monitor
seems to be VERY sensitive to input voltage. with 115vac input on my game
the monitor gets about 82v. at this point all the retrace lines are
visible and a spot is in the center of the screen...even if the brightnes
control is ALL THE WAY DOWN.

maybe my monitor is mis-adjusted in some way, but I used the transformer
out of a ST I scrapped to power the monitor and it gets about 88v so it
looks better. I would suggest finding a power transformer from another
sega game to power your monitor. It would be the best way to power it.

> An operator must have got tired of
replacing lamps and starters
> because all the fluorescent fixtures ( 3 of them ? ) are gone and
> the control panel overlay was removed and spray painted black
> from the inside (aaaarrrggg !)

eeeeewwww :<

too bad that op didn't do what most of them did and threw it in the
warehouse when it didn't get played. :>

> So I'll ask,
>
> What are the length, wattage and location of the lamp fixtures ?

they are all just standard F15T8 lamps like any marquee lamp as I recall.

> Should I try to repair/restore the power supply or replace
> it with a switcher and a simple amp ?

Well, you will probably have to repair the 2 that are in there.. As far as
powering the monitor try and find another transformer if you can..

> Any chance that someone has the following for sale.....
>
> An extra CP... maybe they upgrade/replaced theirs with a better one
> and has one with some pealing/cracking/tears they don't need ?

i think every CC owner needs a new panel..

My panel isn't bad.. but my machine is missing a knob of all things.. and
of course it is some special machined aliminum thing i'll never find..

> Original manual/flyer/side art ?

I have an original manual I'll copy for you if you like.

I had a side art question too.. on the flyer there is full art on both
sides and each side has a sticker for the upper and the lower half. did
all CCs come that way or did they just come with the upper stickers?
My machine has the full upper stickers but I cant find any evidence there
ever was lower stickers on the machine

I got bored and made up a webpage for CC a while back.. there are lots of
pics from my machine (back in the days when it had a knob) so if ya wanna
check it out goto:

http://idt.net/~mayday19/video/cosmicchasm.html

Jeff