Re: Testing a G-08 color vector monitor

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Mon Oct 26 1998 - 13:54:49 EST

On Oct 26, 9:57am, John Robertson wrote:
> Subject: Re: Testing a G-08 color vector monitor
> Hi Mark!
>
> Sounds like either a bad picture tube OR you forgot/overlooked to
> connect the black(usually back, might be green) ground lead from the
> strap running along the side of the picture tube to the small "G (or
> GND)" tab on the neck board.

The ground lead from the tube is attached to the neckboard.

> The neons should NOT light up!!!! This is NOT good. Turn it OFF! Find
> the bad ground connection before turning on again...
>
> or it's the tube. Sigh.

I hope not :-(. Isn't it possible that the neon is being lit up because too
many volts are going to the neck board? Maybe I have a runaway voltage or
something...

Maybe my description was bad...the spark/arcing is happening in the neck of the
tube; looks like some heater parts are sparking together (reminds me off a
spark plug).

I'm not having good luck with tubes lately...I do have a spare Amplifone tube
laying around though...could I use that if I had to? I assume I'd have to
replace the neck socket.

Mark Jenison E-mail address: jenison@cig.mot.com
Cellular Infrastructure Group Motorola--Arlington Heights, IL