Re: G08 to WG

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Wed Nov 04 1998 - 10:33:03 EST

On Nov 4, 9:02am, Paul Tonizzo wrote:
> Subject: Re: G08 to WG
>
> The other alternative is to locate a new tube - talk to Mark Jenison - he's
> looking into it
> right now.

I am?? :-)

Anyway, I'm in need of a spare Sega XY tube also. The tube that the Sega XY
uses is a 19VLUP22...the same as the WG6100 that you were sent!

So, you could swap the tube from the one Art sent you into the G08. You will,
however, have to redo the convergence and purity, which can be a pain. The
Gregg Woodcock's Atari XY faq explains this procedure, but you can find it in
just about any monitor manual.

There is a little white piece of plastic on the end of the tube neck that mates
with the socket. I'm not sure if the WG and G-08 use the same socket (I don't
think so), so you'll either have to modify that piece of plastic, or swap
sockets from the neck board (unsolder and resolder the new one in).

Of course, then you need a tube for your WG6100 :-)

You can still by a replacement tube from Richardson Electronics for $165.

I've heard people have used tubes from raster WG monitors, which I think uses
the 19VLTP22 tube, which apparently is close enough. I'd probably see if
someone wouldn't sell you a dead raster WG monitor for a few bucks...try your
local amusement operator.

Last but not least, I have a spare Amplifone tube that I was going to try and
put on a G08, since my tube is apparently shot. I talked to Rick Schieve, and
he said the Amplifone tube will give me a "bowing" effect because the tube is
shaped differently (hey, wouldn't this make the WG in my Star Wars look normal?
 Hmmm...)

Which deflection coil should I use with the Amplifone tube, the Amplifone
deflection coil or the G-08 deflection coil?

I know Clay mentioned that he's cut away the white plastic thing on the end of
the tube neck before with a dremel tool, but I found an easier way (well, it
worked for me at least). I took some heavy duty paint stripper and put it all
over the piece. It began eating away at the white calking that hold the
plastic piece in place. With some carefully prying, I was able to pop the
piece of plastic right off.

Mark Jenison E-mail address: jenison@cig.mot.com
Cellular Infrastructure Group Motorola--Arlington Heights, IL