Re: XY as Audio

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon Nov 09 1998 - 11:15:40 EST

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, John Robertson wrote:

> Hmm the problem would be the same as is currently happening, except you
> would probably blow up your speakers if the outputs are bad...

        Not if you AC-couple the outputs to the speaker....

        If the outputs are bad, it's usually because one/both of the def.
transistors are shorted -- causing the output to hit a rail...

> The idea here is to run the XY amps unloaded so as the output
> transistors don't croak if the drive is bad. Perhaps a resistor, say 100
> ohms might be enough of a load to test. I'm trying to find a simple way
> to power the monitors (I have about six or so) without having to have a
> running game board, nor do I want to toast the outputs by having hte
> yokes connected. Soon this will be happening. Is anyone interested in
> tested working 19" XY's? Somewhere around $250-$300US... May have my HV
> hack...

        Out of curiousity, when have you run into a situation when the
pre-amps blew out the output stage in one of these monitors? Usually
it's the other way around, in my experience -- a bad output stage txtor
will take out one of the pre-drivers.

Joe