Re: LV2000 demands

From: omar <omar_at_Techsource.COM>
Date: Thu Nov 12 1998 - 17:23:55 EST

Hello All,
I just wanted to clarify something.

I went to Unicorn's catalog and looked up the prices for components for 200
boards. These are by no means the cheapest prices available:
Hmmm...
Let's see now:

Part Qty Each Tot
LM337T 200 0.68 136
LM317T 200 0.42 84
1K Pot 400 0.59 236
1N4001 1200 0.03 36
4.3K RES 400 0.015 6
47K RES 400 0.015 6
240 RES 400 0.015 6
LED 400 0.07 28
1 uF tant 400 0.13 13
10 uF elect 800 0.05 40

Total 591

so 591/200 = 2.955 per board in parts... Unicorn would ship this order for
free so that's accurate

As far as the board blanks go Mitchell's price is for a much larger 2 SIDED
board run. The LV2000's are small (about 1.5x2") boards so that price goes
out the window. Many local board houses will not do runs for less than $500
(unless they sneak yours into someone else's) but you could get them done
with a 4 week turn for quite a bit less than $1000 (very bogus price).

I have done some by hand and my total usually runs no more than $5 per
assembled board including chemicals, board blanks, and parts. If you want
to justify your price, please don't try to say they are expensive to
produce. The only justification I can think of is that they do take some
time to assemble. The sure as hell did not take much time to design. The
schematics are straight out of the Motorola application notes and I had the
board layout guy here do mine up in about 10 minutes.

So what's the point? Justify the price by saying we do what others don't
feel like doing!

Sorry to rant. I just had to say my part.

Omar

p.s. I don't sell my boards, I just trade them every so often. There's
nothing wrong with Jeff and Anders doing that at all though.