RE: LV2000 demands

From: Jeff Anderson <mayday19_at_idt.net>
Date: Fri Nov 13 1998 - 15:16:08 EST

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, jeff hendrix wrote:

> I've had many monitors fail after installing a zanen kit (especially star
> wars, it's real hard on these monitors)
> One HUGE advantage of the LV2000 is that even if the power transistors do
> fail, it won't take out the LV2000, it just shuts itself down.
> (A failed transistor almost always burns up the low voltage section)
> I've also seen problems in the HV section cause the low voltage section to
> go, but it's never affected an LV2000.

That is an excellent improvement, unfortunately the LV2000 does not take
the transistors out of the loop, that IS the main weakness. The only
reason the parts on the board burn up is because of failures of the
transistors, so in actuality all the LV2000 does is provide a means of
shutdown when the transistor fails to protect itself. It does not solve
the weak link, it just covers for it..

Even if a transistor does go on a non-LV2k monitor you have less than
$2.00 worth of parts to replace IF it takes out the parts instead of the
fuse... and the regularity of such an event is very uncommon after the
monitor has been rebuilt and properly adjusted.

If there was a cost effective solution to take the trannys out of the loop
you still have the deflection transistors to deal with. The only solution
is to design an entirely new deflection board or monitor or double-up the
transistors with a means of indicating when one of them blew.. And the
costs of doing either still does not offset the money or the time involved
in nursing a straight WG.. Which is simple and cheap.

 Jeff