RE: Multi cabinet control panel routing

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Thu Dec 03 1998 - 17:17:17 EST

> Well as I am not sure what "gate type" means it is probably why I am
> having
> trouble with Synario.  You mean and, or, etc?  So how do I select an
> and
> gate in Synario?

If you're using the Schematic module, you can just add a part. There
will be gates, i/o's, latches, etc. They're just "simple" devices, not
something complex like a "4 bit counter" or "8 bit latch" or something.
You can build one out of raw gates (or an ABEL description) and then
turn that module into a schematic part though and use it in a schematic
that way.

> Anyone know if the outputs on that Atmel part can be configured
> tri-state?

Yep, more or less... you just configure it to "input". There are ports
called "DDRx" that's the Data Direction Register for port A-D. You'll
need to do something like:

        ldi r5,0xff ; load register (immediate) 5 with all
ones
        out DDRA,r5 ; send register 5 to port DDRA (data direction
register A)

It's a little funky-- the Data Direction "Register" is really a port, so
you can't use *register* opcodes on it, hence the "out" instead of a
load...

> I will probably order the intro kit and see what I can do with it.
> Are
> there diode packs like there are resistor packs?  I have never needed
> them
> so never thought to look.

I've seen diode packs, usually in Mouser or Digikey? They seemed
(relatively) spendy compared to sub-penny discretes so I never bought
any...

-Clay