RE: Star Wars stray line on death star explosion

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Thu Dec 10 1998 - 12:07:40 EST

> I have a monitor with the LV2000 installed, and just as the Death Star
> explosion finishes and everything is returning to normal, the vectors
> are all
> "connected" for a brief moment to the center of the screen, then
> everything
> returns to normal. I suspect this has something to do with the HV
> being taxed
> during the explosion, and the swing back causes this brief syptom?
> Could
> someone explain to me technically why the monitor "blooms" during the
> Death
> Star explosion?

So if I recall correctly, part of the trick of the Death Star explosion
is to raise the output on the color guns above "normal operating
parameters" which causes the power supply to drag down a bit and in turn
the HV loses some regulation and droops out causing the blooming and a
slight de-focusing. If for some reason the color guns didn't cool off
all the way I suppose even if they're blanked there could be enough
residual current to energize the guns slightly and generate some
"connected lines". I wonder if the LV2000 would have better regulation
than the old LV supply and might not behave quite the same under the
same circumstances?

My monitor does the "stray line" thing too, although it's only about 1"
long and curves somewhat at the end. It looks like a case where the
color guns are still "on" when the monitor is busy trying to deflect to
a new position. Once again, I suppose it could be the color-gun
transistors taking longer than "normal" to turn off after being past
100% (design) brightness so the AVG blanking timing isn't quite right.

The Death Star explosion is probably about as tough of display as the
AVG chip is likely to have to produce. (I think Neil Bradley told me
it's in the 4000+ vector range.) It's possible that there's an
"obi-wan" (off-by-one) error in the display list that's actually a stray
vector going off somewhere too. (probably not though-- I'd chalk it up
to older transistors drifting slightly out of spec and making
"different" things happen.)

An interesting experiment would be to keep everything else the same but
just swap neck-boards on the monitor and see if the symptoms change at
all.

-Clay