RE: New Vector Games

From: Ozdemir, Steve <steve.ozdemir_at_plpt.com>
Date: Thu Dec 17 1998 - 20:03:58 EST

G'day Clay and folks,

Well, that's why I had 8 person Space Wars as the fall back position for 8
person Space Duel. 8 object certainly covers two players. At 19.2 you
easily have 4 player. I'm sure that with some trickery that could become 4
pairs of players given the ship-linking capability of Space Duel. Now you
are up to 8 person Space Wars, I'd say.

People might interested a paper came out of Stanford in the late 80's about
how 1/4 second delay across cabinets would not affect game play. Their
point was that 60 frames a second of update was not necessary. Events in
games are "bursty" so if you can spread the information about the events
across 1/4 second then you get more throughput. In their case, they
demonstrated this on a multi player "shooting" pacman game....a much easier
case than our free form Space Wars example.

I'm not suggesting this approach, since the Stanford suggestion complicates
the project by an order of magnitude. But it does seem to be the way that
Clay's going by transmitting control information.

                Steve Ozdemir
                sso@plpt.com