RE: Testing Cinematronics CPU's

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu Dec 31 1998 - 12:01:51 EST

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998, Keith, Brendan wrote:

> I've been wondering about making a small change to the monitor.
> Namely, putting a pull-up (or is it pull-down) on the MSB of both DACs.
> Whichever way is opposite of the rest of the bits. This should result in
> the
> beam being centered with no input signal instead of being fully deflected
> to the corner and popping the breakers (after stressing the deflection
> transistors, which only take about 3 cycles of this before dying).
>
> Is my theory sound?

        Pulling the inputs the other way would most likely deflect the
beam to the opposite corner. I forget how the Cine Monitor gets its
datqa (but I think Zonn covers it in his writeup.)

        Why not just unplug the power to the monitor when you're
troubleshooting the board, rather than just unplugging the data cable?

Joe