RE: where to get parts?

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Mon Jan 18 1999 - 17:13:38 EST

> On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Clay Cowgill wrote:
> >
> > (Also, for Atari boards the 12.096MHz crystal can be tricky to
> source--
> > I use 12Mhz instead. The difference is probably only measurable
> with
> > test equipment...)
>
> I can vouch for this on both vector and raster equipment, though I am
> using a multisync monitor, and thus if the sync frequency is a little
> off for a raster game, the monitor can probably compensate for it
> automatically.

Yep, you can play lots of clock games as a general rule. ;-) One thing
that *can* get pretty finicky is the 14.31818MHz clock used for video
frequencies-- like Doug said most monitors will be fine, but some can
get crabby.

Vector stuff is a lot more forgiving 'cause the frame-rates are
generally variable and there's no sync to speak of. On Major Havoc for
example I think the "dedicated" boards used a 10MHz crystal for the
vector generator and the kits used 8MHz? I put a 4MHz in there for
grins and it still worked. Seems like the music changed tone too, and
things were getting pretty flickery...

Anyone know of a source for 49.152MHz oscillators? (I'd settle for
crystals too.) Namco games use them-- 48MHz runs the game, but you can
tell it's pushing the limits of sync on a raster monitor. 50MHz and the
board won't run...

-Clay