Re: Testing Cinematronics CPU's

From: Matt Rossiter - Verio Southern California <matt_at_rossiters.com>
Date: Mon Jan 18 1999 - 21:36:41 EST

As I mentioned before - I've been wanting to document an "easy to use"
procedure for fixing most of the Cinematronics vector game CPUs (unless
someone already has done this and I don't know about it).

Aside from basic troubleshooting tips that the Cinematronics manuals cover
- I thought that documenting signatures and logic probe data on each chip
without using the exorsizor would be helpfull.

So - the first thing I wanted to do was create a ROM image filled with
nops to make the signatures readable.

Would I be able to take a standard 2716 ROM and do a Bank Fill between the
addresses 000h and FFFh with an Opcode of 0x5f "nop" and let the board sit
there and do nothing? Some of these ideas came into my head after
reading Zonn and Chris Moore's assembler docs. If it sounds like I don't
know what I'm talking about, just keep in mind that I was a music major in
college - not an electronics engineer :) - But if I'm close, suggestions
are certainly welcome.

Someone also suggested earlier that I could hardwire the nops into the
board. I'd like to know how this is done. I'm assuming I could tie
certain pins to ground - thus loading all zeros through the data lines?

Anyway - I just thought one or two of you guys might give some advice.

Thanks...

Matt