Re: BZ (was Re: New Vector Games)

From: Gregg Woodcock <woodcock_at_fastlane.net>
Date: Tue Jan 19 1999 - 23:18:50 EST

>So many bright ideas, so little time. Over the past couple of days I've
started
>having another crack at disassembling the Battle Zone ROMs, however I've
>knocked that on the head until I've finished the Atari console tech stuff
>(another couple of weeks worth I fear).

Why bother with this; it has already been done, including comments! There
were 2 different Mac programmers who came out with object code ports of
Battlezone for the Mac after disassembling the ROMs. It was a truly
infamous computer fiasco with each guy acusing the other guy of stealing his
work/idea/etc and in the end both guys and both games essentially vanished.
However, with a little bit of digging, one should be able to find out who
the 2 guys were (I seriously don't remember but it was about 6 years ago)
and get the info from them. The story is that the original source code is
in Fortran and one of the guys actually had a paper copy from which he
produced his port.