Re: BZ (was Re: New Vector Games)

From: Christopher V. Moore <cmoore_at_heartlab.com>
Date: Thu Jan 21 1999 - 09:17:54 EST

At 09:12 PM 1/20/99 -0800, you wrote:
>"The story is that the original source code is
>in Fortran and one of the guys actually had a paper copy from which he
>produced his port."
>
>this sounds like the "Xbzone" story.
>
>I would be very surprised if Rotberg wrote the Atari game in Fortran,
>considering the development tools they used (they wouldn't have had
>a 6502 FORTRAN compiler)
>
>There was an X game called 'Xbzone' that was written in FORTRAN and
>there were two people who ported that to the Mac.

I have a copy of the 1994 InterWorks Contributed Software Library that
has a version of 'Xbzone' on it. This version is written in 'C', not
FORTRAN. It has helicopters in it. When I was working on HP-UX systems,
I hacked it to have guided missiles when you shoot. Fun to watch, but
really boring from a game play point of view.

--
Christopher V. Moore -- Principal Engineeer
Heartlab, Inc. - 101 Airport Rd - Westerly, RI 02891 -- www.heartlab.com