Asteroids Troubles...Ram???

From: <MKDUD_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu Jan 21 1999 - 11:40:24 EST

Hello,

     I've been trying to repair an Asteroids board, and with the ram
discussions on the list regaurding Battlezone, I thought I'd better ask a
couple questions.
     First, the board would give me a single low buzz on powerup in test mode.
My original rams were NEC UPD2114LC (have a funny little green dot on the
lower left of the ic). I began replacing ram (using AMD's AM9114CPC, brand new
from Bob Roberts). I went through all 6 rams, installing sockets and replacing
the UPD2114LC's with the AM9114cpc's. As I replaced each one, the test tone
would go high after the new ram was installed (I guess I was making progress),
and I would get a low buzz that the next original ram was bad. After
installing & socketing 6 brand new rams, I get a continuous beeping (beep,
beep, beep, beep.....) and no more low buzz (I'm guessing the new rams are
passing). When I pull one of the new rams, the high tones come back (showing
the installed rams being good) and I get a low buzz on the pulled one. I
think the beep, beep, beep (with all new rams installed) is the watchdog
tripping, and after the monitor warms up, I see a slight vector flash on the
screen with each beep.
     First, if there is a speed or compatibility difference with my new ram,
could this be causing the "beep beep, beep",....? Has anyone used AM9114cpc's
on an Asteroids board? Are these AM9114's going to work?
     If my ram seems to be fine, (I'm getting no more low buzzes, and when I
pull a newer ram, I get a low buzz ) what should I be checking next? Please
excuse my ignorance, this is my first attempted repair of an Asteroids board.
I do have a good logic probe, and access to a scope. Any help or advice would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Very Much,
Michael Kelley