Re: BZ (was Re: New Vector Games)

From: Dan Rasmussen <drasmuss_at_3com-ne.com>
Date: Thu Jan 21 1999 - 15:13:33 EST

Hey, a thread I can contribut to....

> "I have a copy of the 1994 InterWorks Contributed Software Library that
> has a version of 'Xbzone' on it. This version is written in 'C'"
>
> Somewhere, I have the original Xbzone, which was done in FORTRAN. At
> some point, there was a translation to C, and the Mac versions of the
> game was ported from the translation.

Back in 93, I think, I got a hold of something called cbzone. It was
an _excellent_ version of battlezone written to run on unix/X-windows.
I know it was distributed as source (it at least came with source) and
it was written in C. I really don't know if it was a descendant of
"Xbzone" (I suspect it was) but it was very nice. I actually hacked
at the code a little bit. One change I made was to speed up my
shells. I was actually pretty good at it after that. It had some
options so that you could skip straight to more interesting levels
(e.g. copters - I assume the original had them at the higher levels
but I never got to them on a BZ machine).

I think I have it laying around on a quarter inch tape (ST-60?)
somewhere but it might be the one that was eaten by that HP drive
(right size hole but definately not the right drive). I'm sure it
can still be found on the net somewhere.

Dan Rasmussen
drasmuss@3Com-ne.com